WITS - A History
WITS AM-1340 Sebring – Longtime one-kilowatt day 250-watt nights Sebring MOR station WSEB became WITS in 1984, under the ownership of Highlands Broadcasting, Ltd. (Robert J. Connely, president). It was a sister station to 3-kilowatt 105.5 WCAC-FM.
When Roper Broadcasting (Robert T. Rowland Sr., president) became the licensee of the combo in late 1986, the AM boosted nighttime power to one-kilowatt and began targeting an upscale 55+ audience with a big band music format. Studios were located at 2530 S.E. Lakeview Drive in, but later moved to 2411 U.S. 27 South in the early 90’s.
WITS was acquired by Jacor in 1997, and since 1998 has been owned by the Cohan Radio Group, which also owns four other stations in the market.
After being branded “Memories” and targeting the 50+ demographic for a number of years, today (2019) WITS programs a Christian, Education, Praise & Worship format.
WITS’ offices and studios are together with four other stations in the Cohan cluster in the Fairmount Cinema Square on U.S. Highway 27 North in Sebring. Its transmitter site is on Cemetery Road, where it shares a tower with sister station WJCM-AM 1050.
Names from WITS history include Steve Hunter (sales manager-1985), Steve Lyons (PD-1985), Tom Fleetwood (news director-1985), Jim Johnson (chief engineer-1985), Doug Peralta (GM/sales manager-1986), Bob Rowland, Jr. (PD/music director-1986; GM/sales manager 1992), Karla Whitaker (news director-1986), Andy Pierce (chief engineer-1986), Janet Larsen (promotions-1992), Ed Russ (PD/music director-1992), Teresa DeLuca (news director-1992), Jim Kowalski (chief engineer-1992), Dugan Fry (PD/music director-1993), Mark Valero (news director-1993), Robert Young (GM/sales manager-1994), Celeste Chung (promotions-1994), J.P. Proctor (PD/music director-1994),and Charles Castle (chief engineer-1994).
(Please contact us if you have additional information to share about WITS.)
1984 - 2019 Other Central Florida Stations (History)