WTIS - A History
WTIS-AM 1110 Tampa – Previously pioneer Top 40 WALT and country WQYK, Tampa Bay’s clear channel 1110-AM was acquired by Forus Communications (Simon Rosen, president) in the summer of 1976. The 10,000-watt station then flipped to a Christian format as WTIS (Tampa’s Inspiration Station).
Although licensed to Tampa, WTIS’ transmitter, and directional three-tower array are located in St. Petersburg at 311 112th Avenue N.E. To protect other stations on the 1110 clear channel frequency, including WBT/Charlotte, WTIS has always been a daytimer.
In addition to its regular religious programming, WTIS aired Christian rock music on the weekends from the mid 1980’s until 1991, featuring shows like “Joyful Noise” and “Power House,” which ran on Saturday afternoons.
In December 2016, WTIS went silent. It had been operating under a construction permit to move transmitter and tower to a site off East Washington Boulevard in Tampa, which would enable it to broadcast its 10-kilowatt daytime power from a single non-directional tower and 4.2 kilowatts during critical hours.
In early 2017, George Arroyo’s Florida Broadcasters filed a $175,000 deal to buy the station from then-license holder WTIS-AM, Inc. (Ron Roseman, president). The deal also included the St. Petersburg-licensed translator W266CW at 101.1 FM to simulcast the 10,000-watt daytime-only AM. Arroyo already owned Tampa regional Mexican La Ley 1550 WAMA.
Other names from WTIS history include James Clark (GM-1976), Steven Shute (news director-1976), Drew Worthen (CE-1976), Lind Voth (GM-1980), Matthew Burt (PD-1980; sales manager-1981), Steven Boyd (PD-1981), Bill Rowen (PD-1982), Gary Kolosey (PD-1985), Ed Gorman (CE-1985), Lee Smelser (PD-1986), Sue Alexander (announcer-1989), Jerome Brackeen (PD-1989), Norm Swenson (1990), Ronnie and Phil Lipka (hosts of “Polka Serenade"-1990), and Robert King (2000; GM/sales-2010).
(Please contact us if you have additional information to share about WTIS.)
1976 - 2017 Other Tampa Bay Area Stations (History)