WCBF - A History
WCBF-AM 1010 Seffner – Sudbrink Broadcasting (Robert W. “Woody” Sudbrink, president) acquired 50,000 watt Tampa Bay daytimer WINQ from Gore Broadcasting of Tampa-St. Petersburg, Inc. (Harold W. Gore, president) in 1984, and changed its calls to WCBF (We’re Christians By Faith).
WCBF programmed a format of southern gospel music mixed with religious shows produced by area churches. Offices and studios were located at the transmitter/tower site on State Road 574 in Seffner.
After Infinity Broadcasting bought the station in 1987, chief engineer Frank Berry took WCBF off the air for nearly five months to completely rebuild the transmitter facility, which included replacing all of the towers, and gutting and reconfiguring the building to better accommodate the new audio processors, STL transmitters and receivers, phasing and tuning equipment, and transmitter remote controls.
On April 1, 1988, AM-1010 returned to the air as WQYK-AM, which aired a simulcast of the FM’s country programming.
Names from WCBF history include Wes Howard (station manager 1980-86) and David Grachek (1979; station manager 1986-87).
(Please contact us if you have additional information to share about WCBF.)
1984 - 1988 Other Tampa Bay Area Stations (History)