Other Stations - - Who's Who - Details

WZST - A History

WZST-AM 1550 Tampa – Ten-kilowatt Tampa daytimer WZST, owned by Dixieland Broadcasters (Alpha B. Martin, president), went on the air with a country music format in 1961 from offices and studios at 1333 West Cass Street.

The station was acquired for $140,000 (plus the assumption of a note) in early 1962 by McLendon Ebony Stations (John M. McLendon, president), owner of  WENN in Birmingham. The following year, the country music was replaced with R&B and the calls became WYOU.

Florida Fund Raising Radio took over the station’s license in 1964, and then Art Reuben (WYOU Radio, Inc.) in the summer of 1965. It was Reuben who flipped the station back to country.


(Please contact us if you have additional information about WZST.)

Station History

1961 - 1963 Other Tampa Bay Area Stations (History)

Home | WPLA | WONN | WLAK | Other Stations | Related Links | Contact Us

© 2017 RadioYears.com All rights reserved.
Built by fusionZONE, Inc.