The Five Owls
The Five Owls was an Orlando area five-man country band originally called “The WHOOT Owls” in the late 1940’s and early 50’s due to their connection with Orlando’s WHOO-AM 990 where they had a noon hour radio program. Since the group was so related to the radio station, they most likely changed the name when their show moved from radio to television (WDBO-TV Channel 6) in the mid 1950’s.
Bill Faulk was the group’s lead singer and played the guitar. Jake Shedd was also a guitarist and sang, while his brother, Shorty, played the stand-up bass. Lee Purvis was on piano and Ray Kelly sawed the fiddle.
The Owls often performed at Chastain’s Restaurant on South Orange Blossom Trail in the Owls Nest, the two-story tower in the parking lot which was used for live performances and radio remote broadcasts.
1947 - 1953 Other Central Florida Stations (Featured Program)