Other Stations - - Who's Who - Details

WKTS - A History

WKTS-AM 1450 Brooksville – Hernando Broadcasting Co. (Elmo B. KiTteS, president) signed on WKTS-AM 1450, Hernando County’s first radio station, on May 2, 1957 from studios at the transmitter site on US 41 at Mondon Hill Road in Brooksville.

On March 3, 1958, the 250-watt station caught fire and burned, and was declared a total loss because firefighters were not able to connect to the city’s water supply. All equipment and the station’s 5,000-record music library were lost.

WKTS remained off the air until October 11, 1958 when Brooksville Broadcasting (William W. Johnson and partner W.L. Waring, Jr.) bought the license and returned the station to the air as WWJB from new studios at Liberty Street and Brooksville Avenue (30 E. Liberty Street).

Original WKTS staffers included GM/sales manager Charles “Chuck” Grant, and announcers Jerry Penska (chief announcer) and Larry Lane.


(Please contact us if you have additional information to share about WKTS.)

 

Station History

1957 - 1958 Other Tampa Bay Area Stations (History)

Home | WPLA | WONN | WLAK | Other Stations | Related Links | Contact Us

© 2017 RadioYears.com All rights reserved.
Built by fusionZONE, Inc.