Other Stations - - Who's Who - Details

WSOL - A History

WSOL-AM 1300 Tampa – Five-kilowatt daytimer WSOL signed on the air in 1959 on AM-1300, previously WEBK and WWTB. It was Tampa’s first bi-lingual station (60% religion and 40% Spanish) and was owned by Rust Craft Broadcasting, a division of Rust Craft Greeting Cards, Inc.

Studios were originally at 1521 E. Broadway in Ybor City, but were later relocated to 113 East Lafayette Street and then to the tower/transmitter site at 1711 Grand Central. Both Lafayette Street and Grand Central were re-named Kennedy Boulevard in 1964.   

Associated Communications Corporation acquired WSOL in 1979 and changed it to adult oldies WTYM in 1981.

Some names in WSOL history include Ruben Fabelo (1959-60), Tom Underwood (GM/sales manager-1959), Albert B. “Al” Gale (GM/sales manager 1960-1979), Bill Beatty (PD-1960), Herb Hunt (news director-1960), Bernie McGovern (news director-1961), Woody Garcia (1961), Maurice Scott (chief engineer-1961), Douglas Way (news director-1968), Mario Quevedo (Spanish news director-1971), Evelio Mata (Spanish news director-1972), Elvan Wilson (PD-1973), Norma M. Werner (1973), Victoriano Marrero (Spanish news director-1973), Charles Domenicas (PD-1979), Mack Lee (chief engineer-1979), Douglas Way, and Pat Morgan.


(Please contact us if you have additional information to share about WSOL.)

Station History

1959 - 1981 Other Tampa Bay Area Stations (History)

Home | WPLA | WONN | WLAK | Other Stations | Related Links | Contact Us

© 2017 RadioYears.com All rights reserved.
Built by fusionZONE, Inc.